– introduces the group. Jim, John, Gill,
– says that they will introduce their poems, argue which one should be the flagship one for their anthology, and, finally, what the title should be. Says that all will have their roles in addition to their requirement to argue for their poem. Ready?
All say ready.
– My first poem is CotLB. I think it should be the flagship poem because it celebrates conflict. Bravery of soldiers.
What kind of narrator is there? Is there just one? Does this make it interesting?
– Narrator is Tennyson. Literary heritage.
Is he against the charge?
– Shouldn’t be so strong.
– Ideas and feelings. Structure helps meaning of poem – others are more ambiguous. Returns to presentation of soldiers.
– isn’t poem outdated?
– has relevance. Celebrates conflict in past.
– Shouldn’t you make more of the direct speech?
– direct speech makes it seem more human
– shouldn’t you consider which poem to which you could compare it to show the importance of the direct speech?
– comparison to bayonet charge
– Jim, do you want to tell us about your poem, The Yellow Palm